Friday, November 21, 2014

Vishwanath Temple: The unsettling feeling in the aarti of Shiva

After a nice long nap, we decided to pay a visit to the Vishwanath Temple in the BHU campus. As we entered the temple complex, there was a lot of hustle bustle as we were just in time for the aarti! The Vishwanath Temple looked breathtakingly beautiful under the mood light. The temple worshiped many idols which were different forms of shiva. As we entered the temple, it was peaceful. The cool marble floor gave me chills as I walked through the temple. As we went further into the temple, we entered the main room where the Shivling resided. Just like the other temples, we prayed, took blessings and moved on. I wasn't so fascinated by it.
After exploring the temple, me and my group came to a verandah overlooking the garden within the temple. While standing there, we had a though provoking discussion about religion, traditions and beliefs. As the discussion went on, it became much more intense and that is when it hit me and made me think about my religious beliefs even more. Somewhere, I started doubting and rethinking my beliefs.
As I was in my zone and thinking about the discussion, I got distracted by the sound of bells and drums playing. The sound was so captivating that it pulled me towards the source of the sound. When I entered the main room, I saw men playing big damroos and blowing the conch shell with bells ringing in a rhythmic pattern. The music gave me goosebumps and hypnotized me. My mind was blank and all I could think of was the music and I kept staring at the men playing the damroo.  The music was violent but peaceful at the same time. I was confused. How can something be violent and peaceful at the same time? I couldn't understand how I really felt while I was standing in the temple, captivated by the aarti music around me. The aarti made me feel very unsettled. As the music became louder and louder, my heartbeat became faster. Every time the aarti picked up pace, men shouted 'HAR HAR MAHADEV!' which gave me more goosebumps. After the aarti was over there was a strange silence but I could still hear the damroos, conch shell and bells in my mind.
I kept thinking about the aarti at night. Confused and still captivated. And now, I couldn't wait to see what the city holds for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment