Saturday, November 22, 2014

Sailing on the Ganga


I am not a morning person. It took me a lot of effort to get up at four in the morning. We started off our expedition late and missed out the sunrise on Ganga but we got to witness the daily morning activities happening in the river from Ganga's eyes. 




With the soothing rays of sunlight shining on me, and the calm sound of flowing Ganga, I revisited the ghats. As we sailed on the holy river, I saw women and men bathing and praying, Sadhus and Sants meditating, kids selling diyas, the ghats being cleaned, boatmen cleaning their boats and ready to start their daily business, etc. 








But what really caught my eye was the Kaashi Karvat temple. The temple was made up of beautiful carved stone and the temple was tilted and sunk in the holy river. According to the locals, it was built by a young man for his mother to repay her doodh ka karz (debt of her milk). The lady scoffed at his facile attempt and the temple turned lop-sided and was hence known as the Kaashi Karvat. 


As the boat took a turn, I succumbed to my sleep and sailed slowly back to Assi Ghat.



No comments:

Post a Comment