Friday, November 21, 2014

Touchdown Varanasi


On our way to Benares Hindu University.


As we landed Varanasi, my usual enthusiasm before every trip was back. I had my camera ready in my hands and I couldn't wait to take my bag and get out of the airport and see the land of Shiva.
But as we stepped out of the airport, I was taken aback. The image in front of my eyes was poles apart from what I was expecting. I was told that, Benares is one of the dirtiest cities in the country but surprisingly, it wasn't. I was mentally prepared to see a very dirty and filthy city with mountains of garbage, polluted water bodies and animals walking on the streets as if they owned it. But to my surprise, Varanasi was very clean! Clean roads, no open manholes and no dirty waters. Yes, there was a lot of traffic but not because of the stray animals on the streets but because of the people of Varanasi who add a charisma to the character of the city.
As we entered the BHU campus, I felt like I was in a different Varanasi. Within the booming and hyper city of Benares, was BHU, calm and quiet. As we drove through the campus, I enjoyed the fresh air and the picturesque view of the campus.
As we reached the guest house, we all pounced at food served for us as if we hadn't eaten in years. After overeating the amazing lunch, we settled down in our rooms and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment